Beginning fall 2012, referees for Marin FC games will be assigned through the Game Officials online system. Youth ARs must complete a Marin FC AR Training Class (see below under Training), to be considered for the referee pool, or be recommended by Vicki Sodaro and Jim Finkelstein.
You must hold a current license and badge to referee for Marin FC. Renewal is on a calendar year basis, and can be completed online by following the instructions at this site:
- U14 - $55 (per game)
- U15-U16 - $55 (per game)
- U17-U18 -$60 (per game)
- U14 - $35 (per game)
- U15-U18 - $40 (per game)
- U17-U18 - $40 (per game)
Please note the rates above are for all Marin FC league games.
Scrimmage games will pay as follows: CR $50, AR $25.
- Please arrive 20 minutes prior to game time to begin check-in procedures. Every attempt should be made to keep games running on time as they are usually scheduled back to back.
- U14 – play 2x35 minutes; 10 minute half time
- U15 – play 2x40 minutes; 10 minute half time
- U16 – play 2x40 minutes; 10 minute half time
- U17 – play 2x45 minutes; 10 minute half time
- U18 – play 2x45 minutes; 10 minute half time
- All referees should wear the official yellow and black striped shirt with CURRENT certification patch, black shorts (preferably without logos) with pocket, black socks with 3 white stripes on top, and black shoes (cleats are ok). Shirts must be tucked in. All referees should carry a set of side-line flags and cards, whistle, watch (not cell phone), coin, and pen.
Game Card Procedures
- For NorCal League and Cup games, the home Team Manager provides and retains the completed game card.
NorCal Premier and NorCal Cup Procedures
- Note - For NorCal games, for a red carded player/coach, the referee notes the player/coach id number from the pass, but returns the pass to the team (does not retain the pass).
National Premier League
Referees should check the pertinent field hotline in advance of their game in the event of rain, or contact the referee scheduler. Payment will not be made for rain-outs. Every effort will be made to schedule the same referees for the re-scheduled game. If weather conditions are such that a game cannot continue in the estimation of the Center Referee, play will be suspended Lightning automatically suspends a game.
Rules for the 3 main playing leagues can be found at the following links. Your game assignment on this website will indicate the league and division for each game you ref. Please be familiar with and carry a copy of the rules with you for games.
Referees should check with the coaches prior to the match to confirm league-specific substitution rules. Most Marin FC games will follow the below:
A team may have no more than 18 players dressed for each game. Substitutions are allowed at the referee’s discretion. A substitution can take place for either team at the following times:
- prior to a kick--‐off
- a goal kick
- a throw--‐in
- after the referee stops play for an injury or yellow card
For NorCal Premier League games, unlimited substitutions are allowed, but it is the coaches’ responsibility to handle their substitutions in a professional manner.
For NATIONAL PREMIER LEAGUE (NPL):
In the U14 and U15 age groups unlimited substitutions are allowed but NorCal Premier Soccer reminds all coaches that it is their responsibility to handle their substitutions in a professional manner so as not to detract from the game. In the U16, U17, U18/19 for Field Players, substitutions are permitted as follows:
- First Half No Re--‐Entry
- Second Half one Re--‐Entry
- There will be 1 re--entry per half for an injured GK (no field player re-- entry).
Referees for Marin FC must hold a current registration, Grade 8 or above. Training courses are run through District V, so the location to find class information is:
NEW!!!! Youth referees with at least one full year of active AR experience in a competitive club, may be invited to attend the Marin FC AR Training. The one-hour class is mandatory before being assigned to referee games for the club (current referees in Fall 2012 may be exempt if cleared by the lead referees).
California North Referee Administration
US Soccer Federation
US Soccer Federation